Friday, January 12, 2018

Smell His Breath

“Smell His Breath!”

If you live in Eastern South Carolina you have been like my family the past week and attempting to survive the great blizzard of 2018 (1.5 inches of snow) that shut us down for five days.  The city lost water, schools were closed and just as everyone was ready to get back to normalcy after the Christmas season we were halted in our tracks by a monumental blizzard!

It was during one of those days that my wonderful wife gave instructions to our three children to “hurry up and brush your teeth because the water is going out!”  An hour or so later our hygiene-disabled twelve-year-old was asked if he brushed his teeth.  He replied, “Yes, but without water or toothpaste!”  Don’t ask, just go with it!  Immediately, my wife belted out “Gross!” and then the dreaded words came out,  “Reeves smell his breath…”  I immediately thought, “Why me? You are the one who asked him to brush his teeth!”  Thankfully I kept that thought to myself (until now), and went with another thought that came to me.  The thought, “This is the job of a Dad.”  You see, as dads we are above all else called to die to self and serve our families.  The rest of the home feeds off of the tone we set.  If I am lazy and lethargic my home will be lazy and lethargic.  If I am angry and short with others then my kids will be angry and short with others.  As the dad I set the tone.  Sometimes this is really good like when I set the tone that we are going to watch football all day, and other times this is bad like when I have to smell the twelve-year-old’s breath after ‘brushing’ without toothpaste and water.  Either way, dads, recognize that you are the leader in your home and earnestly strive to set the tone which will bring blessing and strength to your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do I Pray?

I was challenged this morning to think about how I pray?  Samuel Chadwick said, "Prayer is not a collection of balanced phrases, it is ...